We had our first Review Party in November! It was a lot of fun. The kids enjoyed the games and the parent's seeing how well the kids did! We are having a 2nd Review Party towards the end of this 2nd semester.
Here is what I did if you'd like to see if your CC Community would be interested in doing one!
1. I formed a committee of parents willing to idea share/brainstorm games and ways we could execute/organize the kids for review in teams with a large group.
2. Come up with a fun way to end your Review Party - we did a Pizza Party! We had parents bring the drinks/deserts to share and then we ordered pizza.
3. I assigned parents who were willing to help, various jobs that needed to be done (I couldn't do it all!) and they became responsible for that game or area.
4. Promote it at your morning assembly time and on any of your social communication groups your Community uses (we use yahoogroups).
5. Set up a database or a sign up sheet for families to sign up in advance -providing a deadline for when the sign ups need to be completed by.
6. Send out a final notice to your volunteers letting them know what areas they agreed to be responsible for and what their duties are for that area. Have everyone show up early to set up and then ask some in advance to be willing to help tear down/clean up.
The games we came up with were:
Are You Smarter then a Parent - we did the kids against a panel of parents. I moderated the questions back and forth. They enjoyed this and were motivated to "beat the parents" at their memory work!
Geography Race - we used two larger Tutor Maps and I had two pointers. They were formed into two teams and then made a line. The first person in each line went to the map and turned their back to it with a pointer in their hand, then the location was called out by me and the first person to spin around and locate it was awarded points for their team. We had two moderators watching the kids to raise their hand when their kid hit the right location.
Timeline Freeze Dance - this became a fun CC hand motions event actually. The kids all signed the entire timeline up to the current week 12. They did GREAT! Myself and another Mom who's great with the hand motions, stood in front and did it with them to the music.
Lastly, we all had pizza and desert to celebrate! Below are some pictures from our Event.....