I was so blessed to have reviewed Sarah Mackenzie's first edition e-book, Teaching from Rest , back in August 2014. She just recently published a second edition, that is expanded and revised (35% new content), with the assistance of Classical Academic Press. This is a terrific book for learning how to enjoy the journey of homeschooling, without sacrificing the diligence of an excellent education for your children! A must read for mom's who would like to enjoy their relationships with their children, while they are homeschooling and keep it all in perspective! I don't think you can read this book too many times or ever tire of hearing it's timeless truths. It can be used as a devotion book, a group discussion book, a philosophy book and a practical, how-to book. It's one you won't want to miss. You also won't want to miss this discount and giveaway, so you can make this bundle your very own...
Don't Miss This Incredible Deal!
I'm so excited at what Classical Academic Press is offering my viewers on this newly released book -that I want to jump right to the good stuff and share it with you first! CAP is offering a giveaway of their Teaching from Rest Bundle to one blessed viewer! Enter the giveaway at the bottom of this page. That's not all! Between now and September 7th, you can take part in my exclusive limited time deal of 20% off the already discounted bundle price of $17.95, just by using the code SGREST20 at check out! That's an incredible deal, making it less than $15 for the brand new Teaching from Rest book, PDF Companion Journal, and the incredible MP3 Audio Companion! You can also use the discount to buy those pieces individually, but the bundle is a great deal and each piece is so awesome, you won't want to miss any one! Want to buy, but wondering if you should wait to see if you win the giveaway first? No problem - you can do both! If you buy now to get in on this great deal, and then happen to win the giveaway, Classical Academic Press will just refund your purchase amount! It's a Win-Win!
Hurry - it's a limited time offer, so don't miss it! SGREST20
I've read this book multiple times. It's one of those books you want to just read, and re-read, and highlight, and star, and underline, and, well...you get the point :). I really want you to read this book for yourself, and I don't want to steal any thunder from the incredible insights, inspiration and instructions that are contained within. So, I'm going to give you some highlights, and just trust me, you want to own this book and read it often!
In her book, Sarah presents three main ideas that are pretty large paradigm shifts, at least for most of us. They are entitled:
- Who's "Well Done" Are You Working For?
- Curriculum Is Not Something You Buy
- Be Who You Are
Companion Journal and Amazing MP3 Audio Collection:
The Companion Journal is a corresponding study guide that goes along with the book (revised and updated as well). The Journal is a thought provoking study of the topics presented in this book, and it will help you go even deeper and really internalize the truths God has for you. It would also be a great way for you to do a book study with some Schole' Moms! The MP3 files are such awesome listening, I don't even know where to start! It's more soul food for a homeschooling Mom. These you will want to listen to several times over, as well. Each time you will glean a new truth or understand one a little deeper, as you listen and re-listen. Andrew Kern is amazing, and so is Dr. Perrin in their deep wells of truth and perspective, not often heard in such easy to understand analogies and terminology. Brandy and Cindy have a way of making the journey seem so attainable, teaching us how to savor the moments, when we keep our eyes on Him and stay the course. They are each so captivating in their presentation of such deep truths, that each homeschooling Momma really needs to get hold of, in order to teach from a state of rest, fully surrendered to God's design for your homeschool. You won't want to miss listening to any of them - so plan to listen as you do the dishes, fold the laundry, ride in the car or sit quietly in your room. Just listen to them! You will be so glad you did, and your thoughts about classically educating will be transformed. The title and topics of the MP3 files are as follows:
- Andrew Kern: Teach from a State of What?!
- Dr. Christopher Perrin: Scholé: Changing the Way We Think about School
- Brandy Vencel: Let’s Get Real: Mothering from a State of Rest
- Cindy Rollins: If I Knew Then What I Know Now
A few of the most impactful ideas for me personally were:
- Recognizing that our daily grind is holy ground - teaching is holy work. Considering that my child may be a cathedral for God's using that I am being given the privilege to help build, is an awe inspiring and convicting truth. These little people aren't the interruption of our to-do lists, but rather, the very reason we are doing this! Practicing "cheerful interruption" has been my conviction since reading this. It is so interesting how hard that can be some days!
- The shift in paradigm on Curriculum is huge - at least for me it was, and I suspect for most of us. It's what has moved me from doing what I was for five years, to what I'm now doing with Schole'. The idea that curriculum is something you don't just teach but we embody and love - is huge. "It's the form and content of our children's learning experiences." It's more about what they can uncover than what we cover. Knowing that I don't have to finish the book or cover it all - what freedom in that and yet, it's not about blowing off the curriculum in favor of PJ's and movies, rather, it's about making the curriculum your servant and not your master. Other concepts such as loop scheduling and her practical how to's on paring down your curriculum and recognizing what is worth keeping and what is worth letting go of, is very helpful. I love the reiteration of what we were already doing with Morning Time, and how impactful in the long run to your child's formation it is. It's about depth and not breadth - increments with forward progress and not focus on completion and checklists.
- How to become a peaceful and happy mother - consider what your strengths and weaknesses are and working within them to educate your child. What do you love? What are you passionate about and want to share with your children. Fill up your own tanks so you have something to give. Take the time to spend in leisure for yourself and restful learning, so you can pass that on to your children. We too must practice Schole'!
I've been meaning to purchase this book for awhile, it is on my wish list for my next book order!ReplyDelete
It's so fantastic! I hope you get one either way - win or buy! :)Delete
I can't wait to read this!ReplyDelete
You will love it! So fantastic! :)Delete
I've been planning to order the book when I get back from vacation next week but this bundle looks way more fun!!ReplyDelete
It's a super deal! So worth the read and listening time! :)Delete
I love Teaching from Rest! Thanks for sharing. :-)ReplyDelete
Me too! :) Thanks for stopping by.Delete