We started our fresco project first. We had the kids pick from a variety of printed images that I had googled online that were related to medieval times. They were pictures of things like castles, queens, fleur de les and medallion designs. I had found some Chinet plates that were square and I thought they would serve nicely as a "frame" for our fresco's. Once they decided on their designs, then I moved them on to the next project while some of the Moms mixed and poured plaster of paris into the plates to allow them to begin setting up for our use later. The plaster of paris was mixed to "buttermilk" consistency (which was just under 2 parts plaster to 1 part water) and then poured into the plate and tapped until it filled all the corners nicely and was smooth and flat for drying.
While that was setting up, the kids were given black and off-white construction paper and given instructions to trace their shoes on the black and their hands on the off-white piece. They then cut out their hands and shoe shapes to apply later to their drawing. Next they were given a large piece of art paper and shown some ideas for how they could draw a person falling or jumping or swinging etc. I explained that their legs and arms would be bigger as they are closer to the front of the page (like in perspective art). This would then be where their hands and feet they cut out would be applied, to complete their drawing.
They began drawing their ideas for their people (which was really a "silly self portrait"). I was impressed with how well they all really grasped the concept. They chose swinging, falling and jumping people. Everyone had their details a little different and there was a lot of room for creativity. It was fun to watch what they all came up with.
|Final project results.|